Thursday 24th
The weather remains 'mixed'. People around are all commenting on the wet summer. I managed to cut the established lawns and scatter the cuttings along the edge of the 'cage', to soften the edges. Hopefully I will have transferred thyme seed in that way.
The turkeys continue their ingress!
Early(for us) start to extract MarRon from the basement and get ourselves down to Brebeuf where we met up with David and Rebecca, U.S. academics on sabbatical, who come to Grace.
He's a professor of aquatic entomology whose particular interest is caddis flies. More of that another time.
Rebecca and I shuttled our car and trailer down to Huberdeau beach and then we launched from Brebeuf plage into gentle water and slow current.
Just past what my map labelled 'horse shoe rapids', which weren't, we saw two, perhaps three young bald eagles being mobbed by crows. And then we pulled out onto a huge sandbar in the middle of the river for lunch..
So far, so good. But quarter of an hour later, we pulled out, trailing, I'm afraid, through clearly marked private land with an audible warning system, to gain access to the road.
The 'rapides au diable' are a rock garden, now too full of water to determine a clear path, with big, white water visible in the distance. Portage it was to be, but it was soon evident that we weren't up to 1,5 km of that!
A delightful local lady asked if we needed help. She told us that some people, herself included, are frightened by the rapids, some people love them. They run a long way. She beautifully wished us that 'whatever decision you take, May it be the best one for you'!
Five minutes later, we were struggling, I began to talk of going to get our car and trailer.
The road was very quiet, I heard a motor approaching and just stuck out my thumb. They almost screeched to a halt. A delightful couple, Jim and Tracey, asked how they could help. Yes, they were going to Huberdeau, of course they could give me a lift. And so they did!
And once returned, the prospect of drinks and food in Tremblant was very tempting.
So that's what we did. A lovely evening, late home but safe and very happy. We need to do some serious thinking...




No comments:
Post a Comment