Thursday, 21 August 2025
A drab start but then a lovely, sunny day
up to 35 degrees. The dishwasher had not
run properly overnight; unsurprising – I had not turned on its own, basement
water supply. And that tap leaked when I
did. I now know a lot more than I ever
did about packing glands (or lack of them).
We lack one so the really easy fix is not available to me. So it’s an attempt to isolate the water
supply and tighten the main valve body by loosening it first. Which shot water all over me and all over the
basement. Hmmm. Email to M.
Houle the plumber. He didn’t
answer his phone, and his voce mail was full.
I may try to isolate the supply again tomorrow and see whether I can
remove the valve body to search either for a worn washer or something. I told you that I now knew a lot more than I
previously did! YouTube eh!
More YouTube and I removed the old mortar from the spare tiles I have found and stuck six and a half of them in place. I need a tile saw to trim up another part-tile, and some grout. We shall probably pop into Tremblant tomorrow both for that, and for a new valve, and to register my new credit card at the bank – in case I can’t remember my PIN, as well as to sort out the non-payment of the insurance.
Lots of wildlife today. A doe and two fauns still in dapple; a large hen turkey and five or six chicken-sized chicks; two corvids patiently stalking grasshoppers in the lawn; a too-cute red squirrel.
I started to cut the lawn but the batteries are all flat.
Ballymaloe tomato salad https://thecafesucrefarine.com/ballymaloe-summer-tomato-salad/ with sourdough toast and Haloumi. Well worth making. Quebec berries and Greek yoghurt for afters. Delish.
Friday, 22nd August
Slow start but then a trip to Tremblant; some materials from Jean Coctu, where
my debit card refused to work; a trip to Metro for food, shopping takes a lot
longer when you are trying to read source of origin labels to avoid USA
produce; to the bank to check my credit card number and to try to soft out the
insurance payment. The bank teller was
very clear – “we have received the money back – you are not insured”. Hmmmm.
Then to Tacos Lolita for lunch. Tacos birria for me with a shared Greek salad, Tacos Vege for Ali. Really tasty; greeted in Spanish we just continued in the same – as you do!
To Rona – unchanged – and then home for a lazy evening.
The new tiles fit perfectly! Thanks for the "elbows up" support, and good luck with the pipework! YouTube is a real goldmine, but if you get stuck, give me a shout and I'll drive up to scratch my head at it along with you :)
ReplyDelete