Tuesday, 19 August 2025

If it’s not one thing

 Sunday, 17th August.  Considering how late we’d been the night before, all those chores like emptying the fridge and sorting the recycling so that neighbours can put it out whilst we’re away, we rose to the 7 am alarm with no issues!  A bit of final packing, loos cleaned, the heating to holiday mode and we were waiting on the drive end with all of our luggage when the taxi arrived.  Coach to Heathrow, a bit of a snooze on the way and into Club check in.  No upgrade this time, we’re travelling outbound in economy (the flight prices at such short notice are awful) but we shall come back Economy Plus for the bit of extra space!

The Security is very easy now, you don’t have to unpack anything, it’s all automatic.  And it picked up my accidental pen-knife which ended up with my being interviewed by two very pleasant armed policemen.  I am now on police computers!  Prat.

Fortnum and Mason’s for an open beef sandwich (Chicken fondant for Ali) and then to the gate and boarding.

We had decent seats; six and a half hours was quite long enough though.  I re-read “The man who died twice” by Richard Osmund; a great story, well told.  A shock when we arrived, the Mobile phone package says that we shall have to pay – I had checked on Saturday evening in the UK.  it had still said that I had roaming as a benefit.  Oh poo – something else to sort out; that and Ali’s non-charging laptop.

Wanda came to pick us up from the airport.  Absolutely lovely to see them both again.  a good night’s sleep and instant adjustment to the time zone.

Monday. 18th

A leisurely Montreal breakfast – bagel, cream cheese with smoked salmon, Quebec berries.  Thanks so very much Wanda.

And then through heavy traffic on Decarie to the divided highway north.  A stop at St Jerome to drop off gifts for Karen and Dennis and further to Tremblant.  Ali’s laptop is not charging – noticed late on Saturday (after she had had the RAM upgraded to 20 the day before!  I was feeling pretty stressed by now; my phone was very hot in my pocket and might have been trying to dial out for an age….  But Ali’s fix seems to have been easy – her charging cable and its workings seem to have died.  Cheap replacement; done.

Food.  Hungry now, and thirsty.  A very nice pizza in the next door Italian restaurant and copious glasses of water seem to have done the trick although I was a bit of a diva until then.

To the bank – Ali’s credit card had refused in the Computer store, I wanted to check my PIN on my debit card.  Fortunately, since we changed to RBC, there is a branch in Tremblant.  Where it seemed that we had each forgotten all of our PINs.  Strange.  Is that anything to do with the$1400 taken fraudulently – and refunded – from our Credit Card account last week I wonder?

Now in funds, we headed for the Sweet Corn farm with its expanded store and stocked up on local vegetables.  And finally to the local store in la Minerve for proteins and the makings of supper

Well; the cottage is still here and looking lovely.  


 
A new fire extinguisher has appeared in the kitchen which I don’t remember, together with a new kettle which I vaguely do.  The internet is not connecting to anything, and I was eventually, after making and eating supper, very tired.  An early – in Canadian terms – night and a solid night’s sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment