Sunday, 28 July 2013

Bread and circuses!
 
Saturday morning - the biggest day of the Village year; the Vide Grange (Car boot sale - literally, "Barn emptying").  Karen and Janine and co had been off at 06.00 to begin to set up their stalls; I followed on at 07.00.  The whole event seemed much bigger this year.  And I took the opportunity to dispose of the old surround from the front door.  Karen sold it for me for $10!

I also took the chance to pop into the Boulangerie to scoop up croissants before the rush; only there weren't any!  They would be ready in an hour so I went up to the diner for coffee, where I met Gilles and Denis - and couldn't resist some toast - and bacon - and hash browns - and two eggs sunny side up.  ( I was found out later :-( )

By the time all that was over I went back to the car-boot sale, bought a double hammock with its labels still attached for $5 and two pairs of snow-shoes for $5 a pair.  No cabin is complete without "racquets"!

I went and bought the croissants - all the pain chocolat had now gone so I bought some rolls to fill folk up - and came home to find a bag of pain chocolat on the table!  Rachel and Jeremy had been in to the village and been told that some man had bought all the croissants before they were out of the oven (me!) and so they bought all the pain chocolat instead.  Somehow everything vanished over breakfast anyway.



A bit more work on the resin for the outside of the new canoe by me and then they were all packed up to go.  It's been great to have them here and I think they had a good time; they certainly slept a lot which is always a good sign.


They have busy weeks ahead before the kids return to school - B&L are off to England to New Wine with their English Grandmother!



So much for the bread - what of the circuses?

 

 
Cirque du Soleil is now a world famous organisation with several different, themed shows in action all over the place at any given time.  I have surprised myself by becoming a fan of their performances on the TV and so, when the announcement came, way back in the  spring, that they would be in Ottawa this summer - albeit for quite a short season, I had to arrange to go.

So, in the end, P&N, Karen and Denis and Ali and I all went.

We went to Totem - the only one here this year.  You aren't allowed to take pics in the show - so here it is before it begins.  The quality of the individual performances, and the overall effect was astonishing!  Here is a taster! 

We (once again!) stayed with Pam and Noel (Thanks!) and then pottered home in tme for supper.


More resin on the canoe - I'm a bit troubled by the milkiness of some of the resin; I think it's microbubbles and I hope that they clear before it sets.  Have to find some wood for the gunwales - getting closer!

Rain on the way home - and this evening; but the grass needs it!

No comments:

Post a Comment