Saturday, 30 August 2014

Bits and Bats

No - we haven't seen the bats recently; funny, because there used to be a number around here...

Little stuff really.  We spent two days (dodging rain showers on Thursday, none to speak of yesterday) firstly "Log-washing" the outside of he cottage, and then adding a clear coat top layer.  Easy work really, but one that put us high up on ladders as before.  I seem to be better at ladders than I used to be; Ali is much better at them - better sense of balance and no fear of heights.

I went to M. Sauriol at the cedar deck makers.  I needed some beading to finish off the tunnel wall.  He has some of the most beautiful cedar logs and makes massive (3" thick) tables and benches from them.  He cheerfully cut me the bead to size and so that's one more job to tick off the list.

Supper in the Screen-room is just lovely.  The solar-powered chandelier is a bit dim, but at least you don't fall over by it.

Ali went riding Friday morning and hen stopped off to pay the council taxes. 

We have raised the bird-feeder to a height that should deter the biggest deer - but the chipmunk won't be happy.  (S)he's getting more confident, sitting at our feet on times, chewing peanuts.  (S)he seems to be storing them in the basement tunnel.






I've re-sealed the gap between the cottage outside wall and the basement tunnel roof.  Prior to that we had an inundation when we washed the wall!




Just opened the curtains - I spoke too soon about the bird-feeder!



Two men from Hydro-Quebec (the electricity company) came to test the integrity of our power-pole.  It's position is recorded by GPS and it is measure, tapped (Wheel-tappers and shunters!) to check its solidity before three holes are drilled down into the base and rot-stopper plugs are inserted.  They told me that it adds ten years to the life of the pole.  Elsewhere along the road they have been drastically cutting back trees from around the poles.  The resulting piles of logs are dwindling ;-)

Heard from P & N.  They're going to come up on Sunday for an overnight which should be fun.  Off to Norman and Marta's for Smoke meat supper this evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment